Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Wellness Wednesday: I'm Completely Crazy!

Okay, y'all. I went and did it!

I've done 5 half-marathons, all as part of the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon (https://knoxvillemarathon.com/). I've signed up for a 6th to be done in October, the Haunted Half Marathon (http://werunevents.com/haunted-half/). While I'm not the fastest half-marathoner in the world because I don't run the whole thing, I run intervals, I've still finished 5 half-marathons and I've been guilty of the cliched comment that I'm only half crazy because I run half-marathons.

Well, now I'm completely crazy.

I've been talking about making the attempt at a full marathon for a couple of years now, but just haven't felt ready. And, believe me, you need to feel ready for this endeavor. Because I've not attempted a full yet, I can only impart the wisdom that I've culled from my various marathoner friends: you're never fully ready. I suppose, in a way, it's like deciding to have children. Though I wouldn't know that from experience, either.

When I crossed the finish line of the 2019 half-marathon, I felt amazing! I came within about 6 minutes of beating my personal record and I really think I would have done it if I hadn't lost steam at about mile 11. Regardless, I felt good at the end, which is all you can ever hope for, right? After I'd gotten some food in me, I remember looking across the table at my so-patient and supportive husband, and saying, "I think I'm gonna try the full next year." To his credit, he didn't spit his orange juice across the table at me. He really is one in a million, y'all.

So, fast forward to June 2019. In years past, registration for the next year's race has opened in August, so that's when I intended to make my decision. Instead, I opened my email on June 5 and saw that registration was open. I don't really know what possessed me, but, before I could talk myself out of it, I pulled out my credit card and registered for the full marathon!

Now, I just need to do some serious training and get a bit more of my excess weight off so that I can get my pace down. I have to be able to finish in 7 hours, which is doable, but I need to shave some time off my per-minute pace.

Expect a lot of marathon training blather going forward. LOL In fact, I'll try to put something in the subject line to that effect so you can scroll past if you don't want to read about it. I do hope you'll go with me on my journey, though. If you are an experienced marathoner, I would definitely appreciate some tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year! I'm Setting Goals for 2022

Well, friends, it has been a hot minute since I last posted on this blog. So I thought I would take the excuse that it is a new year to writ...